citizens getting involved in macro-language policy

HALEY J DE KORNE hde at gse.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 13 05:37:35 UTC 2011

Hello,

Re: citizens getting involved in macro-language policy 2 things come to mind: The report on the grassroots development of the Washington state policy that supports the First Peoples' Language & Culture certification program is available at the link below.  I recommend the 2007 Final Report.

http://www.pesb.wa.gov/home/firstpeople

Similar grassroots efforts have resulted in similar policies in quite a few other states (e.g. Michigan), but I don't know of any other reports/ publications actually documenting this (other than Larisa Warhol's great work, already mentioned here).

And a more individual story, of Kenny Pheasant, an Anishinaabe (Ojibwe) teacher in Michigan who got Grand Traverse County to reverse their decision to make English the official language of the county. County-level might seem small, but it's significant locally.  I heard the story from him years later-- but here's a recent article where the event is written about (para 9), in addition to his overall teaching & mission.

http://www.mynorth.com/My-North/June-2011/Aanii-hello-Kenny-Pheasants-Quest-Odawa-Language-for-the-Masses/

Best regards,
--
Haley De Korne