Kenya: Deaf need equal access to education

Andrea Young andrea.young at iufm.unistra.fr
Wed Sep 21 20:48:32 UTC 2011

Dear list members,
Following on from the posting about equal
access to education for the deaf in Kenya, today in France we heard that a group of deaf passengers were refused
access to a plane on the grounds of their disability.
In French reference is made to the European law concerning
"mobilité réduite" (limited mobility). I'm not quite sure how being deaf affects your
mobility.
The only possible argument I can think of is you wouldn't be able to hear the safety announcements,
but there must be plenty of people travelling every day who do not understand the languge in which these announcements
are made.
They are taking their case to the French anti discrimination body "la  Halde (Haute
autorité de lutte contre les discriminations et pour  l’égalité)".
For more
information: http://www.aeronewstv.com/fr/?id=208&p=article
http://www.lamarseillaise.fr/societe-quartiers/les-sourds-se-battent-contre-l-injustice-24279.html
--

Dr Andrea YOUNG
Maître de Conférences en Anglais

"We do not inherit the
Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children" (Native American Wisdom)

<quote
who="Francis Hult">
> Capital FM News
>

> The deaf need
equal access to education, Kenya told

> Kenya on Monday joined the rest of
the world in marking the International Deaf Awareness week with a special call to
> the government to
facilitate access to education by the deaf.

> An official with the Kenya
National Commission on Human Rights, Bernard Mwongesa, urged the government to improve the
> provision of sign
language in local schools to facilitate learning for those who are hard of hearing.

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2011/09/19/the-deaf-need-equal-access-to-education-kenya-told/