Prof seeks Corpus of writing/speech by non-nativeEnglishspeakers

Bessie Dendrinos vdendrin at enl.uoa.gr
Mon Sep 26 08:49:36 UTC 2011

At the Research Centre for English Language Teaching, Testing and Assessment (RCEL) of the University of Athens, Greece, we have a large corpus of graded (according to levels) and marked  scripts, produced by EFL speakers in Greece who've taken the national foreign standardized language exams in English. Not everyone has Greek as L1, but we are taking for granted that all test-takers know Greek as a working language - two of the test papers include mediation tasks. Your student may officialy apply to obtain a chunk of data by writing to rcel at enl.uoa.gr to say what s/he needs it for and how she will treat it, what amount of data s/he needs, etc. As for data that has been produced by EFL speakers of distinct languages, I know that Cambridge ESOL have them and are using them for their English Profile project. However, I do not think that they make them available - and without a fee.
Have a good day
Bessie Dendrinos

Bessie Dendrinos, Professor
Department of Language and Linguistics
Faculty of English Studies
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
University Campus Zographou
GR - 15784 Athens
T/F - +30 210 7277804
E - vdendrin at enl.uoa.gr