2012 Teacher Education Spring Symposium on ELLs

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Wed Apr 25 19:18:26 UTC 2012

Hello Colleagues!

We would like to remind you about an exciting opportunity for teacher educators to come together and share in dialogue about the preparation of teachers of ELLs across the New York City metro area. The First Annual Teacher Education Spring Symposium on ELLS will take place on Friday, May 18th, at Hunter College in New York City from 9:00 am till 12:00 pm.

This is a pre-registration event only and there are only a few spots remaining, so register today! If you are unable to attend, please post at your college and make sure your institution is at the table!

Angelica Infante, the Executive Director of the New York City Department of Education Office of ELLs, will be our opening speaker and will brief us on ELL education in the NYC DOE.  We will then have a chance to choose break-out sessions for collegial dialogue on topics relevant to us across our institutions:

Preparing Teachers of Adult English Language Learners:
Gabriel Diaz Maggioli, The New School

Preparing Teachers for Bilingual Contexts:
Tatyana Kleyn, City College of New York

Preparing Teachers to Support Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education:
Helaine Marshall, Long Island University, Westchester

Fieldwork and Supervision of TESOL Candidates:
John Balbi, Teachers College, Columbia University

Preparing Teachers for ELLs in Special Education:
Jennifer Samson, Hunter College, City University of New York

Preparing Teachers for Collaborative ESL Models:
Andrea Honigsfeld and Maria Dove, Molloy College

You must register in advance to attend due to space limitations! Register online now to join us to share concerns, resources, ideas, and come together as a community so that we can better support English language learner teacher education from P-adult. To read more and to register, please visit the New York State TESOL website at:  http://nystesol.org/. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Laura Baecher at lbaecher at hunter.cuny.edu

We hope to see you there!

Best,
Laura Baecher & Drew Fagan
Conference Co-Chairs, TESS (Teacher Education Spring Symposium)