Educational Linguistics Symposium -- 25 March 2012

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:16:28 UTC 2012

***Announcement***

EDUCATIONAL LINGUISTICS SYMPOSIUM

Sponsored by Springer

"Alternatives and Innovation in Applied Linguistics"

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hilton Boston Back Bay

Boston, MA

ABOUT ELS

Since the 1970s, educational linguistics has continued to gain strength as a transdiscipline dedicated to conducting research about and addressing practical concerns pertaining to language (in) education. With cultural and linguistic diversity flourishing worldwide while ominous political and economic circumstances in many countries are also leading to the problematization of educational systems, the core focus of educational linguistics to foster education that is both linguistically appropriate and socially responsible is more acute than ever.

The Educational Linguistics Symposium (ELS) brings together educational linguists working in diverse scholarly traditions in order to encourage dialogue about innovative ideas for addressing well known challenges in multilingual education. As such, ELS provides a space for seeking alternative connections among different lines of inquiry that may not normally intersect. The inaugural meeting of ELS includes eleven paper presentations and three keynote talks by leading scholars.

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

"From Monolingualism to Multilingualism and Back Again?"

Sinfree Makoni, Pennsylvania State University

"Some Questions for Educational Linguistics: Time, Trust, Tasks, Tests"

Mary McGroarty, Northern Arizona University

"What Counts as Language and Communication Competence in Ethnolinguistically Diverse Classrooms?"

Constant Leung, King's College London

SYMPOSIUM VENUE

ELS will take place in the Fenway Room of the Hilton Boston Back Bay from 9:00am to 6:00pm. Directions to the hotel are available here:

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BOSBHHH-Hilton-Boston-Back-Bay-Massachusetts/directions.do

REGISTRATION

Participants registered for the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) conference* may attend ELS at no additional cost. In addition, ELS is free for all graduate students in language-related fields at Boston-area universities. Pre-registration is not required, but RSVP with name and institutional affiliation to   EdlingL AT gmail.com is appreciated.

* ELS is not affiliated with AAAL.

SPONSOR

Springer publishes the Educational Linguistics book series (http://www.springer.com/series/5894). It is also the publisher of the Encyclopedia of Language and Education, Language Policy journal, and Multilingual Education journal, along with numerous other titles in language and education. For more information, visit:

http://www.springer.com/education+%26+language?SGWID=0-40406-0-0-0

QUESTIONS?

Contact   EdlingL AT  gmail.com

PROGRAM

[Note: The full program is attached.]

Opening Remarks (9:15-9:30)

Francis M. Hult

University of Texas at San Antonio

Opening Keynote (9:30-10:00)

>>From Monolingualism to Multilingualism and Back Again?

Sinfree Makoni

Pennsylvania State University

10:05-10:25

Disagreement in English as a Lingua Franca of Practice in China

Diana Boxer                           Weihua Zhu

University of Florida              University of Wisconsin

10:25:10:45

Tell me a Story: Developing Narrative and Agency through Analysis of Life Stories

Simon Coffey

King's College London

10:45-11:05

Incidental Acquisition of Arabic Vocabulary: Task Involvement or Other Interactions?

Ayman Mohmed

Michigan State University

11:20-11:40

Critical Reflections on a Professional Licensure Test Review Panel: An Analysis of Participation, Consequences, and Policy

Ellen Rintell

Salem State University

11:40-12:00

>>From Linguistic Competence to Linguistic Capital: Language Learning as an Economic Activity

Hyunjung Shin

University of Saskatchewan

12:05-12:25

Redesigning Communication Practices in Introductory FL Classrooms through Multiliteracies of Heuristic Literary Mini-genres

Ekaterina (Katya) Ites

University of Massachusetts, Amherst

The Political Economy of Language Education in Mexico: English for Public Primary Schools

Peter Sayer

University of Texas at San Antonio

12:45-1:05: EXPERIMENTAL SPACE I

Afternoon Keynote (2:30-3:00)

Some Questions for Educational Linguistics: Time, Trust, Tasks, Tests

Mary McGroarty

Northern Arizona University

3:05-3:25

Because cars reflect national characteristics, don't they?": The Contribution of Stereotyping Humor to Nationalist Ideology and Why It Matters for Students in a Globalized World.

Bryan Meadows

Fairleigh Dickinson University

3:25-3:45

Does Linguistics Matter?: Benefits for Developmental Skills Community College Students

Susan L. Price, Christine M. Jacknick, and Maureen T. Matarese

Borough of Manhattan Community College - CUNY

3:45-4:05: EXPERIMENTAL SPACE II

4:25-4:45

Minding the Policy Gaps- A Teacher Educator's Self Study on Steps to Address Tensions in Assessing "Needs"

Theresa Austin

University of Massachusetts, Amherst

4:45-5:05

Symbolic Policy and Classroom Practices