CFP: Second Language Research Forum 2012

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Fri Jan 27 22:37:12 UTC 2012

http://ml.hss.cmu.edu/slrf2012/cfp.html

Second Language Research Forum 2012
Building Bridges Between Disciplines: SLA in Many Contexts
October 18-21, 2012

Carnegie Mellon University

University of Pittsburgh

Call for Papers
Second Language Research Forum 2012

October 18-21, 2012

Hosted by:
The University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University
in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Colloquium Proposal Submission Deadline: March 15, 2012
Colloquium Notification of Acceptance: April 15, 2012
Paper and Poster Abstract Submission Deadline: April 30, 2012
Paper and Poster Notification of Acceptance: July 15, 2012

The organizers of the 2012 Second Language Research Forum (SLRF) invite proposals for papers, posters, and thematic colloquia for the conference.

To embody the conference theme, Building Bridges Between Disciplines: SLA in Many Contexts, we are soliciting proposals from various disciplines, including those that have traditionally been associated with SLA research, as well as those that are new to SLA research or that have been underrepresented at previous SLA conferences.

We welcome proposals from all areas of second language research, including (but not limited to) the following:

Formal Approaches to SLA

Functional Approaches to SLA

Cognitive Approaches to SLA

Technology and SLA

Classroom Research

L2 Assessment

Psycholinguistic Approaches to SLA

Neurocognitive Approaches to SLA

Bilingualism

Corpus Approaches to SLA

Socio-Cultural Approaches to SLA / Pragmatics

Context of Learning / Study Abroad

Heritage Language Learning / Language Maintenance

Comprehensive research syntheses, preferably in the form of a meta-analysis, are also welcomed.

Guidelines for Paper and Poster Submissions
Proposals for paper and poster presentations should consist of a title, an abstract, and a short summary. Titles should be no longer than 15 words. Abstracts are limited to 350 words in length, and summaries are limited to 50 words.

Individual paper sessions will be 30 minutes: 20 minutes for the presentation and 10 minutes for questions and answers. Posters should measure no more than 3ft by 4ft (90cm x 120cm). Poster presenters should plan to present and discuss their work for at least one hour during their assigned poster session.

Guidelines for Refereed Colloquium Submissions
In addition to four invited colloquia, we are also soliciting proposals for two refereed colloquia. These colloquia will be collections of paper presentations that focus on a specific topic of interest, and which are organized by one or more individuals. Colloquia will be scheduled for 2 1/2-hour blocks (roughly 4-6 papers). Proposals for refereed colloquia should consist of a 200-word (maximum) description of the colloquium topic, along with 150-word descriptions of each paper to be included. Each title should be no longer than 15 words. Colloquium acceptances will be announced April 15. This will allow researchers to submit a proposal for an individual paper or poster (by April 30) if their paper is not accepted as part of a colloquium.

Submission Policy
An author may submit a maximum of one proposal as first author, but may also be a colloquium organizer, discussant, or co-author/co-presenter of a maximum of two additional papers or posters.

Submission Instructions
Proposals will be accepted online only. To make a submission, please visit the conference web site at http://www.cmu.edu/slrf2012 <http://www.cmu.edu/slrf2012> . Click on "Submissions <http://ml.hss.cmu.edu/slrf2012/submissions.html> ", and you will be taken to our submission web site. Proposals will be selected based on the results of double-blind peer review. All submissions must be completely anonymous.

Questions
Please direct any questions to the SLRF 2012 organizing committee at slrf-2012 at andrew.cmu.edu <mailto:slrf-2012 at andrew.cmu.edu> . We also invite you to view our website (http://www.cmu.edu/slrf2012 <http://www.cmu.edu/slrf2012> ) and to visit us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/slrf2012 <http://www.facebook.com/slrf2012> ) and Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/slrf2012 <http://www.twitter.com/slrf2012>