Call for papers: Endangered Metaphors Volume II--Vanishing Images, Changing Conceptualizations

Ari Sherris arieh.sherris at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 21:23:15 UTC 2013

*Please publish on Edling: *

*

*Call for papers: Endangered Metaphors Volume II--Vanishing Images,
Changing Conceptualizations*

Metaphors in endangered languages became a focus of increasing
international academic attention since John Benjamins published the volume
“Endangered Metaphors” (eds. Anna Idström & Elisabeth Piirainen) in 2012 [
http://benjamins.com/catalog/clscc.2].

This volume consists of 15 articles on endangered languages spoken in Papua
New Guinea, India, Peru, Alaska, Ghana, Finland, etc. These articles
provide priceless original data and a wealth of information about
linguistic and conceptual metaphors which are in danger of vanishing
without a trace if languages die or significantly change under pressure of
more powerful majority languages.

Now it is time to continue work. Therefore we call for papers to another
book:

*“Endangered Metaphors Volume II – Vanishing Images, Changing
Conceptualizations”.*

Editors: Elisabeth Piirainen and Arieh (Ari) Sherris.

We hope to find authors who have competence in preparing an article about
an endangered language. The book will concentrate on two themes: the rich
imagery manifested in idioms (we hope to receive papers on languages whose
idioms are not yet documented comprehensively to promote their
documentation), and conceptual differences between a minority language and
a majority language. Concerning the latter topic we hope to receive papers
which compare idioms and/or conceptual metaphors of an endangered language
with those of the language that threatens its existence.

If you are interested in contributing to the volume, please send an
abstract of your paper to

Dr. Elisabeth Piirainen, elisabeth.piirainen at outlook.com and

Dr. Arieh Sherris arieh.sherris at gmail.com