Nexus Analysis Reading Group

Compton Sarah sarah.e.compton at jyu.fi
Wed Dec 4 08:31:59 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

We are excited to announce a reading group on Nexus Analysis organized for the spring 2014 terms.  Researchers employing Nexus Analysis as a conceptual orientation and methodological framework are interested in studying "the ways in which ideas or objects are linked together" by mapping the "semiotic cycles of people, discourses, places, and mediational means involved in the social actions" that they are studying (Scollon & Scollon 2004: viii).  If you find that your work leads you to ask more questions than it does produce answers, you'll fit right in with the others in the reading group.

The announcement and schedule of the meetings is below.  Please forward on the announcement to others who may be interested in participating.

Best regards,

Sarah Compton & Maiju Partanen
Doctoral Students
University of Jyväskylä
Department of Languages
www.discoursehub.fi

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CDF312.E226B1C0]

Jyväskylä Discourse Research Hub
Engaging with Nexus Analysis Reading Group
Spring 2014

The Jyväskylä Discourse Research Hub (http://www.discoursehub.fi) is an initiative of Discourse Studies at the University of Jyväskylä and the Peripheral Multilingualism (Academy of Finland) research group. The hub is intended as a space for showcasing cutting-edge discoveries and approaches within the multidisciplinary field of discourse studies and stimulating discussion and collaboration among researchers and students in the area. For the spring term the hub organizes a reading and discussion group on Nexus Analysis.

This reading group is designed as a space for engaging with Nexus Analysis as a conceptual and methodological approach to understanding and explaining the social phenomena we are interested in studying.  Using the Scollons' (2004) book Nexus analysis: Discourse and the emerging internet as the primary text for the reading group, we will examine the central concepts of discourses in place, historical body, and interaction order within the three cycles of carrying out a nexus analysis (e.g., engaging, navigating, and changing the nexus of practice). The reading group is designed for those who are interested in learning more about Nexus Analysis.

We warmly welcome you (students, young scholars, and seasoned professors alike) to join us on campus at the University of Jyväskylä or virtually via Google hangouts.  To participate in the reading seminars, please kindly RSVP to Maiju Partanen (maiju.e.partanen at jyu.fi<mailto:maiju.e.partanen at jyu.fi>) by Fri., Jan. 17th, 2014.

Preliminary Schedule Spring 2014*
Thurs., Jan. 23rd (14:15-15:45): Introduction to Nexus Analysis

  *   Presentation by Prof. Sari Pietikäinen
     *   Working with Nexus Analysis: Applications, Motivations and Challenges
  *   Readings from Scollon & Scollon (2004)
     *   Chs. 1 and 2

Thurs., Feb. 27th (14:15-15:45): Engaging Nexus Analysis

  *   Readings from Scollon & Scollon (2004)

     *   Chs. 3 and 4
     *   Fieldguide p. 151-159

Thurs., April 3rd (14:15-15:45): Navigating the nexus of practice

  *   Readings from Scollon & Scollon (2004)

     *   Chs. 5 and 6
     *   Fieldguide p. 159-177

Thurs., May 8th (14:15-15:45): Changing the nexus of practice

  *   Readings from Scollon & Scollon (2004)
     *   Ch. 7
     *   Fieldguide p. 177-178

Tues., June 3rd (13:15-15:45): Considering application of NA in our work

  *   (Please note: this session begins at 13:15 in order to accommodate a longer discussion and enjoy refreshments)
  *   Selected readings from sources that use NA as a conceptual framework
     *   Participants select 1-2 articles that use NA
     *   A list of possible sources can be found here: http://www.discoursehub.fi/engaging-nexus-analysis/references/
  *   Small group activity
     *   taking our own research interests/work and the central concepts of NA as points of departure, consider the motivations and challenges of using NA

*Times listed in Eastern European Time