Reading list for PhD students in SLA/Ed Ling.

Tommy McDonell tbmcdonell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 11:35:58 UTC 2013

Hello.

I normally would never write  to this list, but thought I would just mention something that I wrote to Miriam, who was my chair at NYU.

I think that all students should read some research about technology and language teaching or as to how technology is changing language.

There are several reasons to consider such readings.

One is that while technology is ever present, the digital divide and technology in certain areas gives an excellent starting point for research.

Secondly, as many students go on to teach in universities, they need to consider what their stance will be on the use of technology in their classrooms.

And finally, much of the excellent technology literature is done not by linguists but by those in technology. This does not mean that they don't understand some language aspects, but they view the results often differently.

Please note, I do not work in our field anymore.

I am disabled with cognition problems due to my MS. So there are days when my language skills suffer, as they might in this email.  (This would make its own study!).

Instead, I am an artist, where colors and form take precedence.

Tommy

Tommy B. McDonell, Ph.D.
Pinehurst, NC 28374
http://tbmcdonellart.com
Remember to have your colonoscopy.

Some typos are courtesy of my iPhone 5. Other mistakes are due to being tired.