Thinking of Home Makes It Harder to Learn a Foreign Language

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Sun Jun 23 11:14:25 UTC 2013

Wired

Thinking of Home Makes It Harder to Learn a Foreign Language

Something odd happened when Shu Zhang was giving a presentation to her classmates at the Columbia Business School in New York City. Zhang, a Chinese native, spoke fluent English, yet in the middle of her talk, she glanced over at her Chinese professor and suddenly blurted out a word in Mandarin. “I meant to say a transition word like ‘however,’ but used the Chinese version instead,” she says. “It really shocked me.”

Full story:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/06/foreign-language-learning/