Knowing more foreign languages beneficial to our future

David Balosa dbalosa1 at umbc.edu
Thu Sep 12 02:05:01 UTC 2013

A 2001 Gallup Poll found that 26 percent of American adults are fluent
enough in a second language to hold a conversation. The same poll showed
that 77 percent of Americans think it is necessary for new immigrants to
learn English. Shouldn’t that standard go both ways, though?

The university should require students to remain in foreign language
courses beyond the current minimum requirement, focusing on immersion
opportunities to both promote cultural understanding and prepare students
for their future careers.

You may want to read the full article at the link below.

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2013/09/knowing-more-foreign-languages-beneficial-to-our-future

--
*David M. Balosa*
*Doctoral Student, PhD Program in Language, Literacy and Culture (LLC)*

Interculturalists GSO President 2012-2013
Member of International Academy for Intercultural Research (IAIR)
*University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC)
**1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250*

The world would be a better place if we all strive for 'intercultural
justice'.