Linguistics in Education

ann gavriel sense07 at waitrose.com
Tue Feb 18 10:45:19 UTC 2014

Hello everyone..

*         The original post from edling (16 Feb from Francis) caught my
interest.  Optimising linguistic knowledge /dissemination (= not just
preaching to the converted at conference, in journals, & so on..) has always
had my vote but particularly for teacher training domains.  A place to start
is language learning more generally, because since Latin went off-syllabus
for mainstream secondary education, many native English (USA & UK &
elsewhere) users are not taught ‘grammar’ even semi-formally.  But those
teachers who have at any stage learnt a second or third language have a
conscious and developing intuitive awareness of grammatical categories at
least.  So we need to be less Anglo-philic in terms of what we mean also by
‘syntax’.  French and German secondary education still teaches different
levels of ‘philology’.  We can learn nothing unless we have control over our
language, or the language of our schooling.  So we begin with teacher
training syllabuses, internationally, I would suggest.  I am a keen
participant in any project, Alex.  My postgrad Masters and 25 year career
has been in Applied Linguistics, at the tertiary level but very broad
interests
.

Best wishes to all on this project,

Ann