Linguistics in Education

Ali Fuad Selvi afselvi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 21:01:59 UTC 2014

Dear Francis (and all),

Thanks a lot for bringing this out our attention. Creating a new entry is a
great idea.

Considering that Wikipedia is the #6 website worldwide (after Google,
Facebook, YouTube, Yahoo! and Baidu, if you are curious) and the go-to
source for everyone (academic/non-academic), it'd be a timely and critical
investment for scholarly communities like this one to think about using
Wikipedia more effectively.

With the same idea in mind, a few years ago, I spearheaded the creation of
the NNEST (Non-native English-speaking teachers/Non-native English speakers
in TESOL) entry on Wikipedia. Later on, it was picked up by other users who
eventually contributed to the entry. Although the entry needs some major
updates when I look at it today, it was certainly a good start because such
an entry did not exist at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NNEST

>From an instructional standpoint, I also like and support Jeff's idea of
using the Wikipedia as a course project/assignment. Not to digress too much
from the topic but it reminds me a model that might of interest to scholars
in this community --- encyclopedia-dictionary of terminology model.
Depending on your needs, choices or preferences, you may have it as a blog
or a wiki. To see an example, please visit Scott Thornbury's Blog "A to Z
of ELT" at http://scottthornbury.wordpress.com/ A project like "A to Z of
[here comes the field/area/topic/focus - e.g. Educational Linguistics, in
this case]" would be a collective and participatory endeavor that promotes
co-construction and collaboration in knowledge creation and sense making.

Best regards,
Ali Fuad