Linguistics in Education

margaret van naerssen margaret.vannaerssen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 14:43:32 UTC 2014

In a different area (not educational linguistics) I decided to make changes
on a topic.
I can't remember the details of the process. It is an open context;
individuals can make
changes, make additions.  But just thought I'd pass along these thoughts.
Probably others on this list have also made contributions and may have
advice.

Rather than trying to replace the definition/ description, I created a more
comprehensive
entry, incorporating what had already been put in place as just one piece
of my larger entry,
modifying it slightly.  I couldn't identify who the original author was, so
I couldn't contact the person and let the person know I was proposing,
putting in place a replacement.  I decided that if the original author were
concerned about the original entry, he/she might check on it from time to
time.
This was several years ago.  There has been no change.

I tried to keep in mind that such entries are not dissertations, are not
long academic articles.
They need to be concise, accessible to those new to the field as well as
being acceptable to experts.

It took a bit of learning how make a contribution.  And I had to go in
several times to do fixes, before I was satisfied with the wording and
formatting.

I vaguely remember that there is a slight wait in process while the entry
goes through the Wikipedia system for formatting. etc. But not long.

I do think it is important to have an entry that the educational
linguistics community accepts as this is what many people consult for a
quick understanding.  I'm glad Francis has raised the idea.

Margaret van Naerssen