UK: If there aren't enough linguists, we'll need immigrants

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Sun Jun 1 17:55:05 UTC 2014

The Guardian

If there aren't enough linguists, we'll need immigrants

Following the latest immigration figures published by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) announcing the current stability of net migration, it is important to highlight the role played by immigration to the UK in reinforcing its diminishing language skills.

While not wanting to speak on the broader arguments around immigration that have been thrown around by political parities, it is worth highlighting one area where the UK has certainly benefited from people migrating to this country. The cultural and language experience people bring from their country of origin can be a boon for companies exploring and expanding their operations into new markets.

Full story:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/may/23/immigration-must-be-recognised-for-exports