Job: Technical and academic communication in English at Chalmers University of Technology

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Thu Mar 6 08:57:45 UTC 2014

http://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/vacancies/Pages/default.aspx

Senior Lecturer in Technical and academic communication in English

The Department of Applied IT is carrying out research and education within the complete milieus Informatics, Learning and Visualization. As part of both Chalmers University of Technology and the University of Gothenburg the research is encompassing many different disciplines with high relevance for the community. The education is characterized by the interplay between people, people and technology as well as technology’s relation to organizations and the surrounding community.

Just over a hundred members of staff work at the department in one of the research and educational milieus. The department is located at Campus Lindholmen and has close co operations with industry and the public sector.

Information about the division
The Division for Language and Communication provides language and technical communication education for many of the engineering programmes at Chalmers at both BSc and MSc levels and meet with both national and international student groups on our two campuses. In close collaboration with program managers, we design our courses and interventions as integrated into other courses in order to continuously promote the discipline specific communication situations the students face during their education and thereafter. Many of our solutions therefore comprise entire programs and our teams of teachers are often expected to assume the role of a specific programme’s communication team and design and deliver all the courses in the programme.

We need to ensure continued strong development in our profile within technical communication in English for our respective areas and therefore invite Senior Lecturer candidates to apply for the position. Recently our contribution in the area of technical communication has increased significantly and in addition to our established courses and programmes we are asked to design educational interventions for degree thesis writing in English at the graduate level. Further, we are also involved in the redesign of programmes within all four educational areas at Chalmers. The candidates will be responsible for their own courses and materials development and will be expected to work in our different teams of teachers in integrated courses as well as in supervising communication processes in various disciplinary settings.

Major responsibilities
One of your major responsibilities as senior lecturer involves teaching on undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels. As senior lecturer, you are also expected to perform your own research, take part in leadership and administration, and to apply actively for external funding. A certain amount of PhD student supervision may be included. Another important aspect involves collaboration within academia and with society at large.

Position summary
Full-time permanent position.

Qualifications
The position as senior lecturer requires a doctoral degree in a relevant field as eg Applied linguistics, English linguistics, Second language acquisition, Language didactics (English), Rhetoric and composition, Writing studies, or English literature.  The position also requires at least 15 higher education credits in teaching and learning in higher education or corresponding expertise.

You must be accustomed to teaching and be a skilled educator. For this reason, we place a great deal of emphasis on your pedagogical portfolio. Experience from performing academic research or qualified research in industry/the public sector is also meritorious.

Application procedure

The application should be marked with Ref 20140080 and written in English. The application should be sent electronically and be attached as pdf-files, as below:

1.Application: (Please name the appendix in the e-recruitment system as: APPLICATION, Family name, reference number)
− CV,
− complete list of publications, (Divided into peer reviewed/non peer reviewed journal articles, conference contributions, etc).
− Two references that we can contact.

2.Personal letter/Qualifications 1-3 pages where you introduce yourself present your qualifications and describe your future research plans.
− Previous research fields and main research results.
− Future goals and research focus. Are there any specific projects and research issues you are primarily interested in?

3.Publications:
− Copies of your most relevant publications in full format (maximum of ten publications). It is a good idea to attach the files as a PDF or compress them into a Zip file.

4.Pedagogical qualifications:
− Please use the specified format for the Pedagogical Portfolio when you compile your pedagogical qualifications.
− Certificates of courses completed in pedagogy for higher education (15 ECTS points, 10 Swedish credit points in the previous credit system), or other equivalent courses, or proven equivalent pedagogical expertise.

Please use the button at the foot of the page to reach the application form. The files may be compressed (zipped).

Application deadline: 2014-04-30

For questions, please contact:
Head of division, Associate Professor Magnus Gustafsson, +46 31-772 58 15, magusta at chalmers.se<mailto:magusta at chalmers.se>
Head of department, Associate Professor Urban Nulden, + 46 31-786 27 63, nulden at chalmers.se<mailto:nulden at chalmers.se>