To teach to test or for communication =?windows-1252?Q?=97_?=or both?

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Fri May 9 06:48:29 UTC 2014

The Japan Times

To teach to test or for communication — or both?

Which is more important: to communicate in a second language or to test well? Often in language education, skirmishes break out among parents, teachers — and even the students themselves — over this thorny question.

Of course, being able to do both is the ideal, but how can we as learners and teachers ensure we keep a healthy balance between social and academic language acquisition?

Full story:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2014/04/20/issues/to-teach-to-test-or-for-communication-or-both/#.U2x56u9ZrGI