Thurs 10/2 at 2pm: Talk on "Third Culture Kids and Cross Culture Kids" with Jennifer Forney in Fairfax, VA

Kevin Martin kevin at viu.edu
Fri Sep 26 13:31:43 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We welcome you to join us at Virginia International University for our second session this fall of the Voices from the Field Speaker Series!

Our guest speaker, Jennifer Forney, will be giving a talk titled "Third Culture Kids and Cross Cultural Kids: Understanding our Highly Mobile Students in the Classroom."

*        Date: Thursday, October 2, 2014

*        Time: 2:00-3:00pm

*        Location: Waples Mill Conference Room, 11200 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030
Third Culture Kids (TCK's) and Cross Cultural Kids (CCK's) are in all our classrooms and their numbers are growing.  Who are these Global Nomads and how can we as educators help them reach their true potential?  Through this session, you will have the opportunity to learn the characteristics of highly mobile students, the unique challenges they face, and tools that we as educators can use in the classroom.

Our guest speaker, Jennifer Forney, is a Biology and Chemistry teacher at Woodson High School in Fairfax County, Virginia.

To learn more about participating in Voices from the Field, please contact Kevin Martin (Director of the School of Education) at kevin at viu.edu<mailto:kevin at viu.edu>, follow us on social media @SEDatVIU and @TESOLVIU, and visit the School of Education's website at www.viu.edu/sed<http://www.viu.edu/sed>!  For information on our upcoming sessions, click here<http://viu.edu/sed/prospective-students-3/voices-from-the-field/vff-2014-2015.html>.  Many of our previous sessions are recorded and made available through our website here<http://viu.edu/sed/prospective-students-3/voices-from-the-field/vff-2013-2014.html>.

And don't forget about our upcoming National Summit on the Common Core: Demystifying and Finding Common Ground, coming up on November 1, 2014.   You can read more information about the summit, including speakers and topics, here: http://summit.viu.edu/.

We hope to see you at VIU!

Kevin J. Martin
Director of the School of Education
Conference on Language, Learning, and Culture Organizer
General Education Director and Common Academic Core Chair
Writing, Research, and Media Center Executive Director
TESOL Higher Education Interest Section Assistant Chair

Virginia International University
www.viu.edu<http://www.viu.edu/>
3957 Pender Drive
Fairfax, VA  22030
Tel:  (703) 865-8736
Fax:  (703) 591-7046
kevin at viu.edu<mailto:kevin at viu.edu>
@SEDatVIU<https://twitter.com/SEDatVIU>
@TESOLVIU<https://twitter.com/TESOLVIU>
[VIULogoColor]<http://www.viu.edu/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including any attachments) is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, you are not authorized to review, print, copy, disseminate, disclose or use this message, or otherwise take any action in reliance upon this message or its contents.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all copies thereof from your computer system (including servers, laptops, handheld devices and back-up systems).