[Edling] Suggestions for reading list: Bilingual Development and Second Language Education in Early Childhood

Kuha, Mai mkuha at bsu.edu
Sat Aug 22 18:16:13 UTC 2015

Thanks, Fred, that’s helpful to know. The brochure was handed out at a festival a couple of years ago, but I don’t know anything more about it.

Mai
--
Mai Kuha
Department of English

From: fred dervin <fred.dervin at helsinki.fi<mailto:fred.dervin at helsinki.fi>>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 18:43:27 +0200
To: The Educational Linguistics List <edling at bunner.geol.lu.se<mailto:edling at bunner.geol.lu.se>>
Subject: Re: [Edling] Suggestions for reading list: Bilingual Development and Second Language Education in Early Childhood

Mai,

When was this brochure published? It looks very old…

We have more and more evidence that Finland has actually failed in providing successful second language education and heritage language education to so-called immigrant children and that we need to find new ways of doing it...

With my research team at Helsinki (Education for diversities/teacher education) we are currently working on these issues. Please check our work.

Best wishes, Fred

***

Fred Dervin

Professor, PhD, FT, PGCE, FRSA, FRAI
Department of Teacher Education
University of Helsinki, Finland

Website: http://blogs.helsinki.fi/dervin/
Mobile phone number: +358503185204

* Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Bias, Identity and Diversities in Education (With Machart & Byrd Clark, IGI Global)
* Editor of the International Journal of Chinese Society & Culture

*Book series editor:
- Post-Intercultural Communication and Education (Cambridge Scholars)
- Education Beyond Borders (Peter Lang)
- Nordic Studies on Diversity in Education (CSP with Lars Anders Kulbrandstad and Hanna Ragnarsdóttir)
- Palgrave Studies on Chinese Education in a Global Perspective (Palgrave with Xiangyun Du)

New books:
*Cultural Essentialism in intercultural Relations (with Regis Machart, Palgrave, 2015)
*Chinese Educational Migration and Student-Teacher Mobilities: Experiencing Otherness (Palgrave, 2015)
*Migration, Diversity and Education: Beyond Third Culture Kids (With Saija Benjamin, Palgrave, 2015)
*Diversities and Interculturality in Textbooks: Finland as an Example (With Kaisa hahl et al., CSP, 2015)

Starting 2016:
International Master's Programme in Education, Diversities and Social Justice

The Master’s Programme in Education, Diversities and Social Justice (EDISO) is an international research-led programme which is aimed at future leaders in the field. The programme is taught by multilingual leading academics and proposes both local and global perspectives on past, current and future changes in education.
Webpage: helsinki.fi/ediso<http://helsinki.fi/ediso>