[Edling] The Human Right to Speak Whatever Language You Want is Worth Celebrating

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Sat Feb 21 16:10:47 UTC 2015

Smithsonian.com

The Human Right to Speak Whatever Language You Want is Worth Celebrating

Languages are severely endangered and risk being lost in our lifetime. Some languages haven't been heard for as many as 100 years while some disappeared a few years ago. There may be only a few elderly people who remember the words and hearing conversations in an endangered language. But we know from hard-earned examples of the Myaamia language of the Miami Tribe, and the Wampanoag language, that dedicated individuals and families, and then communities, can bring back silent languages. That is how strong the language bond can be.

Full story:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/human-right-to-speak-whatever-language-you-want-worth-celebrating-180954341/?no-ist