[Edling] Using a Murder Mystery to Teach Grammar

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Sat Nov 28 11:44:28 UTC 2015

The Atlantic

Using a Murder Mystery to Teach Grammar

A little over a year ago, Jeni Peake noticed her students at The Cambridge School in Lisbon, Portugal, seemed tired of the standard grammar exercises. And it didn't seem to be a consequence of childhood distraction—Peake teaches English to a handful of classes of students ranging in age from kindergarten-age to adults.

"I wanted to liven my classes up a bit. [My students] were getting demoralized and fed up of repetitive, gap-filling exercises,” she said. “Although they are important, sometimes they can make a lesson very dry.” So Peake took her teaching in a different direction—toward the downright macabre. These days, Peake infuses her lesson plans with murder mysteries to tap into her students' morbid curiosities.

Full story:
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/11/murder-mystery-grammar/417120/