[Edling] TaLC 12: First Circular and Call for Papers

Sandra Götz Sandra.Goetz at anglistik.uni-giessen.de
Sat Oct 24 13:24:47 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that Justus Liebig University Giessen in
Germany will be hosting the 12th biannual Teaching and Language
Corpora (TaLC) Conference to be held 20 July to 23 July 2016. The TaLC
conferences offer an important platform for researchers, teachers,
practitioners and software developers to share their ideas on how
corpus resources and tools for analysis can be useful in/for language
teaching. They aim to promote classroom applications of language
corpora, data-driven learning, as well as the creation of
corpus-informed teaching materials and other resources, and foster
discussion between practitioners and theorists from all over the world.

We cordially invite you to attend this conference and submit your
abstracts for presentations, posters, software demonstrations and
pre-conference workshops. You will find further details about the
conference in the Call for Papers below and on our homepage:
https://www.uni-giessen.de/talc. The deadline for abstract submission
is 15 January 2016.

If you have any questions about submitting abstracts or the conference
in general, please do not hesitate to contact us at
talc2016 at uni-giessen.de.

We look forward to receiving your abstracts and welcoming you to TaLC 12!

Best regards,
Sandra Götz and Joybrato Mukherjee

First Circular and Call for Papers: 12th TaLC Conference in Giessen,
Germany, from 20-23 July 2016

Academic Programme

The programme will consist of full papers, pre-conference workshops,
poster sessions, software demonstrations, as well as invited plenary
talks. The programme starts with pre-conference workshops on Wednesday
20 July; the main conference will start on Thursday morning and finish
on Saturday after lunch. The following speakers have agreed to give
plenaries at the conference: Marcus Callies (University of Bremen),
Gaëtanelle Gilquin (Université catholique de Louvain), Barbara
Lewandowska-Tomaszczyk (University of Lodz), Anke Lüdeling (Humboldt
University Berlin) and Tony McEnery (Lancaster University).

Conference Venue

The conference will be held at Justus Liebig University?s main
building (Ludwigstrasse 23, 35390 Giessen).

Accommodation

We have made block reservations at the 4-star hotel Hotel
Steinsgarten, which is within walking distance of the conference
venue. Participants are requested to make their own reservations.
Special prices are available for conference participants; please
mention ?TaLC 2016? when contacting the hotel (preferably via e-mail
to info at hotel-steinsgarten.de). We have also provided a list of
alternative budget accommodations close to the conference venue on
this website.

Social Programme

On Wednesday evening, there will be a Conference Warming at the
historic restaurant Alt Giessen Gasthausbrauerei. You will have a
choice of activities for Thursday evening, including a visit to
Giessen?s main shopping street and a walk through the forest to a
local monastery. On Friday evening, we will enjoy panoramic views of
Giessen and the surrounding rolling hills of central Hesse during the
conference dinner at Dach Cafe.

Abstract Submission

Paper presentations will consist of a 20-minute talk followed by 10
minutes for questions and discussion. Papers reporting on empirical
research should represent either completed work, or work in progress
where some results can be reported. Presentations that take the form
of a software demonstration are also welcome.

Topics that are within the scope of TaLC include, but are not
necessarily limited to, corpus-based approaches to language learning,
teaching and assessment in the following areas:

     teaching first and second languages (including data-driven
learning materials and student-centred linguistic investigation)
     teaching languages for specific purposes
     teaching interpreting and translation
     teaching culture and history
     teaching literature
     teaching intercultural communication
     developing pedagogic grammars and learner dictionaries
     developing corpora/tools/resources
     teacher education
     research on second language acquisition and learner corpus research
     teaching of corpus methods to students and researchers in linguistics

We request abstracts of 500 words (not counting the reference list)
for paper presentations. Submissions for poster presentations may be
shorter (300-500 words not counting references). Generally, we suggest
submitting an abstract for a poster rather than a paper presentation
for (a) reports on research in its very early phases with no
intermediate or final results to report or (b) reports on new corpus
data resources.

Abstracts should be submitted through our online submission system:
http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/TaLC2016

The deadline for abstract submission is 15 January 2016.

Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by 15 February 2016,
along with the second circular. Registration opens on 15 February 2016
and closes on 15 June 2016. The conference fee will be approximately
100 Euros. There will be student as well as early-bird discounts.

There will also be pre-conference workshops on 20 July. If you are
interested in organising one of the workshops, please contact the
organisers with a brief proposal and proposed timeline (morning,
afternoon or all-day workshop). Once the conference website indicates
that the maximum number of workshops has been reached, no further
proposals can be accommodated.

We hope to see you in Giessen in July 2016!

The local organising committee consists of Sandra Götz (chair),
Joybrato Mukherjee (co-chair), Dilini Algama, Tobias Bernaisch,
Rosemary Bock, Bridgit Fastrich, Karin Puga, Bianca Widlitzki and
Christoph Wolk.

--
Dr. Sandra Götz
Justus Liebig University, Giessen