[Edling] Applied Linguistics syllabus ideas

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Fri Sep 4 18:19:43 UTC 2015

Another useful 'historical' text is

Kaplan, R.B. (Ed.), On the Scope of Applied Linguistics, Rowley, MA: Newbury House.

It is a collection of feedback and discussion about the nature of applied linguistics as a field.  Even if not the whole book, doctoral students would benefit from reading some of this earlier conversation.  Lately some of these discussions have been coming back around.  AAAL recently published its official definition of applied linguistics, for example:

http://www.aaal.org/?page=DefAPLNG

In our Handbook of Educational Linguistics, Bernard Spolsky and I also trace various developments in our first and second chapters, respectively:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/book/10.1002/9780470694138

Best,

Francis

--
Francis M. Hult, PhD
Associate Professor

Web: http://www.sol.lu.se/en/sol/staff/FrancisHult/

Editor, Educational Linguistics book series
http://www.springer.com/series/5894

Co-editor, Contributions to the Sociology of Language book series
http://www.degruyter.com/view/serial/16644

New Book: Research Methods in Language Policy and Planning: A Practical Guide
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118308395.html