[Edling] Applied Linguistics syllabus ideas

Bessie Dendrinos vdendrin at enl.uoa.gr
Sat Sep 5 06:04:57 UTC 2015

Hi Melinda, a book that has stimulated interesting discussions among my doctoral students (who do have a background in Linguistics though) is Applied Linguistics as Social Science, by Alison Sealy and Bob Carter, Continuum, 2004. It provides a good link to social theory and to the sociology of ideas about language, as well as an encompassing chapter on the research in language learning. After a chapter which talks about language and literacy (not in a depoliticized fashion, as many of the applied linguistics textbooks connected with [English] language teaching), it ends with a fairly good proposal on a social realist approach to research in applied linguistics.

Good luck

Professor Bessie Dendrinos | Department of Language and Linguistics | Faculty of English Language and Literature | School of Philosophy | National and Kapodistrian University of Athens | T/F: +30210 7277804 | www.enl.uoa.gr | RCeL (Research Centre for Language Teaching, Testing and Assessment) | T/F: 30210 7277770 | www.rcel.enl.uoa.gr/ | http://rcel.enl.uoa.gr/dendrinos/