[Edling] Urgent question from bilingual teacher

Miriam E Ebsworth mee1 at nyu.edu
Mon Apr 18 12:29:35 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

A grad of one of our programs is a bilingual (Spanish) social studies
teacher in New York City, with 11 years of teaching experience.

The teacher received a super-critical review of a class observation from
somebody outside the school who observed a single lesson. The observer knew
nothing in advance about the teacher's curriculum or approach; there had
been no communication with the teacher in advance of the observation.
After having written a scathing observation report, the observer refused to
have a conversation with the teacher, who sought politely to explain their
perspective and try to understand better the nature of the critique.

The teacher has requested input on one issue in particular:
At the top of the lesson, the teacher had written a guiding question in
English with the Spanish version directly underneath.

The teacher, as I understand it, sought to have the students first try to
understand the text in English, then read it in Spanish, and using all
linguistic resources make meaning out of the question. (And ultimately, the
students will be tested in English.)

One of the many criticisms in the observation report was that the English
and Spanish versions should have appeared side by side rather than one
above the other. The teacher is perplexed.

While the teacher's explanation makes sense to me, I have been asked
whether there is any objective guidance available from the research on best
practices to advocate for EITHER of the 2 approaches (2 languages side by
side versus one above the other).

Thank you in advance for sharing your perspective. I'll pass it on.

Sincerely,
Miriam

Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth, PhD
Dir. of PhD & Post-MA Programs in Multilingual Multicultural Studies
NYU Steinhardt,
316 East Building
New York, NY 10003

Research Editor: Journal of Writing and Pedagogy
Chair, NABE Research SIG Advisory Board
Co-chair, ELL Think Tank

office phone: (212) 998-5195
office fax: (212) 995-3636