[Edling] Urgent question from bilingual teacher

Wright, Wayne E wewright at purdue.edu
Mon Apr 18 20:57:37 UTC 2016

The whole thing sounds messed up - especially the part about refusing to sit down with the teacher to talk about the observation.

On the narrow question of the positioning of the Spanish and English text - I think that's nitpicking. There may be some argument that the putting English on top puts it in a more privileged position, but even in side-by-side text one could argue the one on the left is "privileged" because we read left-to-right.

More important is the pedagogical purpose, and its sounds like the effort was to allow students to draw on their linguistic repertoires to make sense of the texts - sounds pretty defensible to me.

Wayne E. Wright, PhD
Professor and Barbara I. Cook Chair of Literacy  and Language
Purdue University
College of Education
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Beering Hall of Liberal Arts and Education, Room 4108
100 N. University St.
West Lafayette, IN 47907
(765) 494-3936
http://www.edci.purdue.edu/faculty_profiles/wright/index.html