[Edling] trying to understand "translanguaging", continued

Larry Selinker larry.selinker at nyu.edu
Thu Apr 21 01:28:15 UTC 2016

*thank you so much, peter, for sharing this info on AAAL and the debates
there. *

*notice how many goals and purposes are out there. if this concept is hard
to pin down,then what are people applying and why?*

*So, we can** agree that "translanguaging" is being used in a number of
different ways that may not be compatible? *
*if so, ​this must mean that there is no one unique "translanguaging
perspective" that can be applied, the danger being that the concept becomes
so amorphous that it becomes vacuuous.*

*now, why is the concept popular? will this last? or, will it become the
flavor of the day?so, for that not to happen, then some things are
necessary:1. whenever it is used, that person must say what they mean by
the concept.2. look for commonalities in all the variants.3. and, of
course, distinguishing features of the variant approaches.basically, trying
to pin it down, let me suggest some common characteristics; please tell me
if these make sense and feel free to add:- - all the variant approaches are
interested in linguistic ​practices ​as opposed to linguistic systems- -
all the variant approaches thus go for dynamism as opposed to static
linguistic systems.​​so, what has come before is too static for the various
goals. all that work cannot be totally useless. what is being drawn upon
from prior work to cover all these dynamic contexts? ​well, let's try to
get some clarity.​Best, Cheers, LarryLarry Selinker*
*ls110 at nyu.edu <ls110 at nyu.edu>*
*http://www.researchproductionassociates.com/