[Edling] Urgent question from bilingual teacher

Miriam E Ebsworth mee1 at nyu.edu
Thu Apr 21 01:54:02 UTC 2016

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I was also at AAAL and have been following the discussion on
translanguaging. My  understanding is that it's a question of how we frame
language use, with the focus on using all resources to make meaning,
without being restricted to a single lingusitc system.

The dual goal of the teacher was to promote meaning making in a
translanguaging context, also promoting English learning, academic language
development and biliteracy in both Spanish and English.

This has been a great discussion, reflecting empathy for this sincere and
dedicated teacher, and considering the connection of research to pedagogy
as the teacher requested.

Cordially,
Miriam