[Edling] efficacy of transitional Bilingual ed at the 30 month mark.

Wright, Wayne E wewright at purdue.edu
Wed Apr 27 00:06:05 UTC 2016

Hi Lorrie,

That is a frustrating situation!

I would recommend the recent work of Illna Umansky, Rachel Valentino, and Sean Reardon, where they analyzed 12 years of data from a CA district withSEI, transitional, maintenance, and DL programs. Their findings are a bit mixed, but an important issue as it relates to your issue is their finding that if you look at the short term you can draw the wrong conclusions about the effectiveness of the bilingual education models. They also make a nice argument overall for bilingual program models, especially given the additional benefits (e.g., bilngualism, biliteracy) that can result without any long-term impact on their English proficiency and academic performance.

A highly accessible version of their research appears in a recent issue of Educational Leadership that was theme-focused on helping ELLs Excel.  Here’s the full reference.

Umansky, I. M., & Reardon, S. F. (2014). Reclassification patterns among Latino English learner students in bilingual, dual immersion, and English immersion classrooms. American Educational Research Journal, 51(5), 879-912. doi:10.3102/0002831214545110

Hope this helps!

-Wayne

--
Wayne E. Wright, PhD
Professor and Barbara I. Cook Chair of Literacy and Language