[Edling] A twist on student-teacher classroom interaction...

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Sun Jan 17 09:26:39 UTC 2016

The New Yorker

Li'l Donald

Mrs. Abernathy called the roomful of eleven-year-olds to order and told them to open their math books to page thirty-one. Her eyes scanned the class and came to rest on a stocky boy beneath a dome of golden hair, who was making grotesque faces at a girl in leg braces.

“Donald! What is the square root of a hundred and forty-four?”

The boy turned his attention to the teacher with sleepy-eyed indifference.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?”

“What is the square root of a hundred and forty-four?”

“Do I know the square root of a hundred and forty-four? Is that what you’re asking me? Of course I do. It’s absurd that you would even ask me that.”

Full story:
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/lil-donald?intcid=mod-most-popular