[Edling] Art Project – Nightschool on Anarres

Kuha, Mai mkuha at bsu.edu
Tue Jun 21 13:06:56 UTC 2016

Ammar, how I wish I could attend, but the domicile is too profiteering far even by dirigible!

Mai

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 21, 2016, at 7:17 AM, MARTIN EDWARDES <martin.edwardes at btopenworld.com<mailto:martin.edwardes at btopenworld.com>> wrote:

Folks,

I'm currently involved in an art installation at King's College London, "Paths to Utopia" (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/Cultural/newsandviews/newsrecords/160519-Paths-to-Utopia.aspx). Our project within the installation is "Nightschool on Anarres" (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/cultural/Cultural-Institute/Utopia2016/Commissions/Night-School.aspx). If you are in London over the Summer I can recommend visiting the installation.

My role in the project has been to create the language, Pravic, to be as faithful as possible to Ursula Le Guin's description in “The Dispossessed”. What I came up with is given here: http://martinedwardes.webplus.net/pravic/. I will be giving a series of talks during July and August, ostensibly to teach Pravic, but mainly to discuss the way language can affect thought (yes, I'm a neo-relativist). This is something quite different for me, my Making of Language BA module is delivered to an audience held captive by grade-neediness; and it's about them constructing a language, not trying to sell my own homemade product. Any suggestions of how I could approach this teaching experience will be gratefully received.

Please reply off-list.

Martin Edwardes
BSc MA PhD, FRAI
Visiting Lecturer KCL
BAAL Web Editor, UKLO Committee, EAORC Compiler
martin.edwardes at btopenworld.com<mailto:martin.edwardes at btopenworld.com>