[Edling] Assistant Professor of French/Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (University of Arizona)

Dupuy, Beatrice C - (bdupuy) bdupuy at email.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 29 01:32:22 UTC 2016

Assistant Professor of French/Second Language Acquisition and Teaching

The Department of French and Italian within the School of International Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (SILLC) at the University of Arizona invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in French with a specialization in technology enhanced language learning (TELL) to begin in Fall 2017.

Area of specialization within TELL is open; areas of particular interest include but are not limited to: intercultural pragmatics in digital contexts, digital storytelling and digital semiotics, telecollaboration, virtual linguistic landscapes, online/distance learning.

The successful candidate will be expected to maintain an active program of scholarly research, teach undergraduate and graduate level courses in French and area of expertise, and participate on committees in the department, college, and profession.

Minimum Qualifications
• Native or near-native verbal and written communication skills in French and English.
• Ph.D. in French or Francophone Studies; French Applied Linguistics; or Second Language Acquisition with a specialization in TELL in hand by August 1, 2017.
• Demonstrated record, or potential for effective teaching in a variety of delivery format (face-to-face; hybrid; online) in collegiate or university contexts.
• Evidence of scholarly agenda TELL.
• Experience or commitment to collegiality and working collaboratively with other faculty in joint research, teaching ventures, and curriculum development.

Preferred Qualifications
• Commitment to using innovative teaching approaches and/or curricular design to effectively engage a diverse student body.
• Interest and/or experience with digital humanities.

Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled.

Applications must be submitted electronically to the University of Arizona Human Resources website: https://uacareers.com/postings/13740

Candidates are asked to submit (all in English unless otherwise noted):
1. Cover Letter (with indication of whether the applicant plans on attending ACTFL and/or the MLA)
2. CV
3. Statement of Interest (on research, teaching, and curricular interests)
4. Writing Sample (Save as ONE PDF FILE — Two writing samples, one in French and one in English. Samples may be published papers or dissertation chapters)
5. Teaching Evaluations (from the past three years, if available)
6. Portfolio—to include at least include two sample syllabi (one for an undergraduate French course and one for a graduate course in the area of expertise of the candidate) and sample teaching materials.

Please note: You will be asked to provide contact information for three professional references within your application. At least one of these letters should speak directly to your teaching ability. The three references you list will receive an email upon the successful submission of your application. This email will ask your references to provide a letter of reference for you by November 7, 2016.

For more information contact Beatrice Dupuy, Chair of the Search Committee, Department of French and Italian ( bdupuy at email.arizona.edu<mailto:bdupuy at email.arizona.edu>)

The University of Arizona has been recognized on Forbes 2015 list of America’s Best Employers in the United States and has been awarded the 2015 Work-Life Seal of Distinction by the Alliance for Work-Life Progress! For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please visit: http://whyua.arizona.edu

At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff, and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.