[Edling] Idea for a phone app to gauge language use and sociolinguistic vitality

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Thu Aug 31 16:35:40 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

In the happy serendipitous place that was the ICML conference in Jyväskylä this week
(https://www.jyu.fi/icml2017), I had a little idea for using mobile phones to gauge
language use and sociolinguistic vitality. I clearly don't have enough to do in life
because I spent most of today writing it up into a draft proposal (i.e. proposal for
the app, not for funding, although who knows!). I'd love to have your comments:
https://www.academia.edu/s/281715c79e/

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. And of course, if I've completely reinvented the
wheel and this has actually been done already, feel free to say so... I suppose.

And please share widely :)

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk