[Edling] Free online course Multilingual Practices: Tackling Challenges and Creating Opportunities

Da Silveira Duarte, J. j.duarte at rug.nl
Fri Feb 24 14:02:47 UTC 2017

(appologies for crosspostings)
MOOC Multilingual Practices: Tackling Challenges and Creating Opportunities

The University of Groningen, The Netherlands, and Future Learn have
developed a free online course on Multilingual Practices, starting on the
10th of April.

Multilingualism is all around us and it plays an important role in today’s
society. In a world of globalisation, people who do not speak the same
language meet more often every day. Being able to deal with these
multilingual practices in an effective way can give you an advantage in
your daily life and work. Our course is suitable for undergraduate
students, young researchers, policy-makers, multilingual families, teachers
and educators, and all those interested in multilingualism in general.

Over the course of four weeks, we will explore how multilingualism can work
on personal, scientific and policy levels. We will look at:

   - linguistic landscape and policy;
   - multilingualism at home and at work;
   - multilingualism at school from a cognitive perspective;
   - the position of minority languages and dialects.

Find out more about the course and enroll here:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/multilingual-practices

Joana Duarte (University of Groningen)

Tom Spits (Future Learn)