[Edling] Sociopolitical Implications of Big Data

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Mon Jun 19 13:39:41 UTC 2017

[Note: Apropos the recent discussion about ORCID and its partners like Academic Analytics, Altmetric LLP, Clarivate Analytics, Digital Measures, and ResearchFish, here are two a recent articles about the sociopolitical implications of big data.  One is from Newsweek and the other from The Economist.]

Newsweek

How Big Data Mines Personal Info to Craft Fake News and Manipulate Voters

Big Data, artificial intelligence and algorithms designed and manipulated by strategists like the folks at Cambridge have turned our world into a Panopticon, the 19th-century circular prison designed so that guards, without moving, could observe every inmate every minute of every day. Our 21st-century watchers are not just trying to sell us vacations in Tuscany because they know we have Googled Italy or bought books about Florence on Amazon. They exploit decades of behavioral science research into the flawed, often irrational ways human beings make decisions to subtly "nudge" us-without our noticing it-toward one candidate.

Full story:
http://www.newsweek.com/2017/06/16/big-data-mines-personal-info-manipulate-voters-623131.html

The Economist

The world's most valuable resource is no longer oil, but data

A new commodity spawns a lucrative, fast-growing industry, prompting antitrust regulators to step in to restrain those who control its flow. A century ago, the resource in question was oil. Now similar concerns are being raised by the giants that deal in data, the oil of the digital era.

Full story:
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21721656-data-economy-demands-new-approach-antitrust-rules-worlds-most-valuable-resource