[Edling] In Memoriam: Esteemed linguist Dick Schmidt

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Mon Mar 20 23:06:35 UTC 2017

In Memoriam: Esteemed linguist Dick Schmidt

University of Hawai?i at Manoa Professor Emeritus Richard "Dick" Schmidt, the longest serving director of the UH National Foreign Language Resource Center (NFLRC), passed away on March 15, 2017. He led NFLRC from 1994 to 2012, when he retired.

"Dick Schmidt was a prolific and visionary researcher, teacher and mentor, who has influenced several generations of scholars across the world, including many of our colleagues in this college," said Laura E. Lyons, interim dean of the College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature. "We extend our deepest sympathies to Dick's family, his colleagues and friends, particularly those in Second Language Studies and the Center for Language Technology, which houses NFLRC."

Full text:
https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2017/03/17/in-memoriam-esteemed-linguist-dick-schmidt/