[Edling] CFP: 2018 Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and Planning

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Fri Oct 13 05:00:27 UTC 2017

We are pleased to announce the dates for the 2018 Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and Planning Conference, and to share the Call for Papers for this year's gathering.

Dates & location
The conference will take place Thursday, August 23 through Saturday, August 25, 2018 at OISE, University of Toronto. The conference will start on Thursday morning, and run through mid-afternoon on Saturday.

Invited speakers
We are thrilled to welcome Monica Heller (OISE/University of Toronto), Tiffany Lee (University of New Mexico), and Kristin Snoddon (Carleton University) as our keynote speakers this year. In addition, we will have one invited colloquium organized by Enrica Piccardo (OISE/University of Toronto & Université Grenoble-Alpes) and Brian North (Researcher and Consultant to the Council of Europe) on their important developments to the CEFR that were just published in Sept.

Call for Papers

Please visit the conference website here<https://wordpress.oise.utoronto.ca/lpp2017/call-for-papers/> for complete information about the Call for Papers.

We welcome papers and colloquium sessions on a wide variety of topics related to language policy scholarship; see the Call for Papers webpage for complete information.

For this year’s conference, we invite papers and colloquia with a special focus on one of the following topics:

  *   In the 2015 federal election in Canada, the Liberals campaigned specifically around creating an Indigenous Languages Act as an integral part of the reconciliation process between First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples and the Canadian state. Two years into their government, little has been accomplished. We invite papers and/or colloquia that present scholarship on the Indigenous Languages Act specifically, or on other indigenous language education policies for language reclamation and resurgence.

  *   In addition to the invited colloquium described above, we welcome papers and/or colloquia sessions that investigate language policy issues related to language-assessment and language-benchmark frameworks.

  *   We especially encourage language-policy practitioners to submit paper and/or colloquia sessions to share their work. We can imagine various session structures, including: overviews of a specific program (e.g., how a local, regional, or provincial language policy supports language revitalization programming, in which government representatives, teachers, and curriculum developers co-present); roundtable discussions in which policy-actors in a particular sector engage in dialogue about common issues and challenges they face in their work; and practitioner-research sessions that present findings from inquiry into a given language policy initiative.

Please forward this email to colleages, students, and practitioners you think would be interested in attending this year's conference.

We look forward to seeing you in Toronto next August!

Best,

Jeff Bale and Eve Haque

Conference Co-Chairs