[Edling] How to teach semantics ?

Larry Selinker larry.selinker at nyu.edu
Sun Sep 24 13:12:57 UTC 2017

i suggest you get into interesting stuff like variation in  intentions,
entailments, presuppositions, construals and the like, in a computational
frame.

​i understand this sentence entails X, do you agree? if not, what?

especially, what do non-native speakers of english presuppose and entail
from various english sentences.

you can even do political discourse: what does the chant, still happening,
"lock 'er up" mean.

my prediction:
the neutral nets of frame semantics will be different for non-native
speakers. check it out.​

Best,

Cheers,

Larry Selinker