[Edling] Schedule of talks at CLLC 2018: Making Research Matter (April 6-7, 2018, in Fairfax, VA)

Rebecca Sachs rsachs at viu.edu
Thu Mar 1 16:35:04 UTC 2018

We welcome the EDLING community to join Virginia International University's School of Education for the 5th annual Conference on Language, Learning, and Culture -- Making Research Matter: Motivated Inquiry for Actionable Insights (April 6-7, 2018).

The schedule of talks is now available online! Regular registration rates will be available until April 1, 2018.

Dates: April 6-7, 2018

Location: Virginia International University, 4401 Village Drive, Fairfax, VA, 22030

Conference Website: http://conference.viu.edu/cllc

Registration: http://conference.viu.edu/cllc/content/registration

Overview: https://conference.viu.edu/cllc/content/schedule

Sessions on Friday, April 6: https://goo.gl/zjXBkX

Sessions on Saturday, April 7: https://goo.gl/chW5Fy

In focusing on "Making Research Matter," CLLC 2018 seeks to involve a diverse group of educators, researchers, policy-makers, community members, and others in multidirectional conversations regarding how we can work together to make our research endeavors as productive and meaningful as possible for a wide variety of potential stakeholders.

In our call for proposals, we especially welcomed projects in which the investigators considered the users and uses of their research from the very beginning and made decisions accordingly-from action-research projects conducted by individual teachers in their classrooms to larger-scale funded endeavors where collaborative teams had an eye toward wider public engagement and policy impacts, and everything in between. The result has been an inspiring line-up of presentations, more than one of which uses the word "transformative" in its title.

The following is a non-exhaustive sample of some of the exciting talks included in the program. We encourage you to visit the CLLC website for more details!

*         Research-based talks on assessing language needs for the workplace, leveraging prior learning experiences to enhance learning outcomes, and engaging with stakeholders to develop effective virtual-reality training

*         Explorations of the acculturation of English language learners in US public schools, the perspectives of future teachers on ELLs and public schools in Trump's America, the impact of remittances on children's education, and strategies for empowering a community to engage in language preservation

*         A panel on human-centered design for equity in education, drawing on insights from a variety of action-research endeavors

*         A variety of presentations on teacher training and professional development (e.g., improving instructors' assessment literacy, ensuring that research on multi/plurilingualism leads to better trained teachers, aligning certificate programs with TESOL standards, exploring the fit between students' and teachers' perceptions of effective pedagogy, taking advantage of social media to build professional learning communities)

*         Research into a variety of instructional techniques (e.g., for reading, summary writing, pronunciation, technology and traditional craft education)

*         Pedagogy-oriented sessions on how to create relevant and meaningful digitally mediated tasks, address plagiarism, develop students' academic literacy skills through meaning-making tasks, and increase student engagement (e.g., with interactive response systems, poetic expression drawing on place-based experiences)

*         Workshops on using media to enhance teachers' cross-cultural awareness, using picture books to teach writing, using digital story-telling to understand students' transmigration experiences, and providing effective language instruction even when time is not on your side to adapt to quickly changing requirements

If you are interested in volunteering in exchange for free registration, or if you will be traveling and would like to share a hotel room with another conference attendee, please email Rebecca Sachs at rsachs at viu.edu<mailto:rsachs at viu.edu>.

If you have any other questions about the conference, please contact Kevin Martin (Associate Dean, School of Education) at kevin at viu.edu<mailto:kevin at viu.edu>.

We hope to see you at CLLC 2018!

Sincerely,
Rebecca Sachs and Kevin Martin