[Edling] Conference: Developing Early Foreign Language Learning and Plurilingual Education – Building Bridges Between Theory and Practice

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Thu May 10 14:45:01 UTC 2018

Developing Early Foreign Language Learning and Plurilingual Education – Building Bridges Between Theory and Practice

South Campus, University of Copenhagen

As in most European countries, first and second foreign languages are now also introduced earlier in Denmark and the Nordic/Baltic countries in general. Research is inconclusive of the effect of this policy, but there is a general agreement that age should not be regarded as the only significant variable, but rather, as one of a number of variables to take into consideration, and that an earlier start requires highly skilled teachers. Early language learning must be carefully planned taking the age of the learners and their linguistic resources into consideration.

The international conference is interested in investigating the following questions: How can we conceptualize and further develop earlier foreign language learning and teaching, and contribute to continuing professional development within the field? How can we integrate a plurilingual perspective within the context of early foreign language learning and teaching, taking language diversity e.g. the pupils’ first languages into account? How can we in early foreign language learning build bridges between the languages taught at school? How can we build bridges between theory and practice designing teaching materials and teacher education modules? How can we take student voices into account in order to further develop the field? How can we contribute to the societal discussions on early foreign language learning and plurilingual education?

More information:
http://engerom.ku.dk/english/calendar/2018/developing-early-foreign-language-learning/