[Edling] Call for proposals_Transnational Practitioners and Participants in TESOL

Yazan, Bedrettin byazan at ua.edu
Sun Oct 14 04:59:06 UTC 2018

Dear Edling members,

On behalf of my coeditor, Rashi Jain, I would like to invite you to submit a chapter proposal for an edited volume tentative entitled “Transnational Practitioners and Participants in TESOL: Critical Identities and Practices.”

The field of second and foreign language pedagogy includes transnational practitioners with complex personal-professional histories that, in turn, impact how these practitioners construct their identities and engage in practices across diverse contexts. TESOL practitioners also work frequently with students who are transnational migrants. These participants--teachers-to-be and language learners alike--may be engaged in reimagining ‘home’ as an idea that is beyond a geographical location. Further, in such a fast-changing and increasingly interconnected world, the traditional notions around ‘center’ and ‘periphery’, ‘native’ and ‘nonnative’, ‘researcher’ and ‘practitioner’, and ‘practitioner’ and ‘academic’ themselves are being questioned and problematized.

We envision this edited volume as both a critical and an accessible compilation of narratives of transnational practitioners. Too often, scholarly publications tend to be inaccessible, in terms of both content and scholarship, to a large part of the very populations theorized about. We hope to create a space for voices that truly move the field forward in ways that are approachable for all participants. We specifically invite the diverse perspectives of those who engage in the practice of TESOL and who may identify ‘home’ as across and beyond geographical locations. We also invite TESOL practitioners who work with transnational students in two-year colleges, four-year colleges, as well as universities around the world. Further, TESOL practitioners working in both English language programs and in teacher preparation programs could share their perspectives about how the transnational identities of their student participants may inform the practitioners’ pedagogies. Finally, we encourage TESOL practitioners who work in community-based literacy programs populated by immigrant students, including refugees, to also participate in this unique collaboration.

Our objective, as editors, is to facilitate a volume that serves as a community space where narratives of transnational TESOL practitioners and participants may find a permanent home. These narratives may range from autoethnographies to self-study reports and from theoretical pieces to empirical accounts. We also welcome accounts of how second/foreign language student identities and in-service/pre-service teacher identities may be examined through the transnational lens. To echo Iyer (2013), we wish to create ‘a moment of stillness’ amidst rapidly changing times to capture how the global identities of transnational practitioners and participants in TESOL are helping the field keep pace with the changing world. In essence, “It's only by stopping movement that you can see where to go” (Iyer, 2013). It matters 'where we are going' as a field, and our book is an attempt to step back for a moment in time to assess where we are collectively headed as a community. We invite your participation in this endeavor.

Tentative timeline​:
Dec. 15, 2018: Submission of tentative title, a 300-word abstract, and a 50-word author bio
Jan. 15, 2019: Notifications for inviting full chapters
May 15, 2019: Submission of first draft of chapter

For more information and to submit your proposal, please visit this webpage: https://jainrashi78.wixsite.com/transnationalstesol

Sincerely,
-Bedrettin

--
Bedrettin Yazan
Assistant Professor of Second Language Acquisition and Teaching