[Edling] Scientists Rise Up Against Statistical Significance

Margaret van Naerssen margaret.vannaerssen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 14:07:40 UTC 2019

Thanks for posting this article!!
Margaret

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 4:50 AM Francis Hult <francis.hult at englund.lu.se>
wrote:

> Nature
>
> Scientists rise up against statistical significance
>
> How do statistics so often lead scientists to deny differences that those
> not educated in statistics can plainly see? For several generations,
> researchers have been warned that a statistically non-significant result
> does not ‘prove’ the null hypothesis (the hypothesis that there is no
> difference between groups or no effect of a treatment on some measured
> outcome)1. Nor do statistically significant results ‘prove’ some other
> hypothesis. Such misconceptions have famously warped the literature with
> overstated claims and, less famously, led to claims of conflicts between
> studies where none exists.
>
> Full story:
>
> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00857-9?utm_source=twt_nnc&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=naturenews&sf209700813=1

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."  (Mahatma Gandhi )

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This email may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any
unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication is prohibited. If you
believe that you have received this email in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete it from your system.