[Edling] UTSA Ph.D. in Culture, Literacy, and Language => Spanish enty

Israel Cohen via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Dec 15 21:56:01 UTC 2020

Hi, Dan V -

Your friends said BBL because *every* course in the Department of
Bicultural-Bilingual Studies begins with those letters. But that doesn't
answer your question. Imagine this conversation between 2 instructors:
"What are you teaching?"
"I'm teaching a lot of BBS ..."
That sounds too much like BS which is a well known acronym for something
else.
Therefore, I suspect the L in BiLingual was substituted for the
S in Studies.
In Texas, BBL is a well known acronym for "barrels (of oil)". And a lot of
BBL has a very nice sound there.

My niece's daughter used to call me Texas. She probably heard her mother
refer to a somewhat prominent part of my anatomy and the little girl
couldn't pronounce the KH-sound in Yiddish tuchis.
Texas actually is the tuchis of Turtle Island. It's retracted head is at
Baffin Bay, right foreleg at Labrador / Nova Scotia, right hind leg at
Florida, tail at Mexico, left hindleg at Baja California and left foreleg
at Alaska. For details, download this file from my Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rikodm1yl8mfl6t/Turtle_Island.doc?dl=0

Perhaps someone on this list can explain why there is such a pervasive
parallel between Spanish enye (n-tilde) and RG, RK and terminal RSH in
other (mostly Germanic) anguages? For a list of examples, download this
file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zxd4epasjezmq8/Spanish_n-tilde_enye.docx?dl=0

Best regards & stay well,
Izzy