[Edling] Call for Chapter Proposals: Optimizing Practica in Teacher Education for TESOL

Chang Pu via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Thu Oct 1 21:03:05 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Dr. Wayne Wright (Purdue University) and I (Berry College) are pleased to
invite chapter proposals for an edited book titled Optimizing Practica in
Teacher Education for TESOL: Identifying Effective Design, Implementation,
and Pedagogy. We have already been in discussion with Routledge/Taylor &
Francis who have expressed strong interest in the book.

In this book, we will explore innovative structures and high-quality TESOL
practicum designs in response to current changes, and investigate the
impact of the practicum experience on preparing pre- and in-service
teachers to effectively teach English Learners. We welcome chapters
that include
practice-informed discussions, dialogues, and reflections regarding TESOL
practicum programs’ design and implementation, recent changes,
opportunities, challenges, and possible solutions.

The objectives of the book are for educators and researchers to:

   - Understand the trends and issues that have led to changes in the TESOL
   practicum and how TESOL programs address the changes in their TESOL
   practicum;
   - Learn theoretically-based models used to frame the TESOL practicum;
   - Understand what effective TESOL practicum designs are and how they are
   implemented;
   - Understand the impact of the practicum experience on preparing pre-
   and in-service teachers to effectively teach ELLs.

We are particularly interested in topics in the following areas of focus, or
 that fit the scope of the book:

   1.

   *Innovative practicum collaborations with schools  *

   1.

   *The TESOL practicum and edTPA *

   1.

   *Afterschool program practicums *

   1.

   *Community-based experiences *

   1.

   *Overseas practicums *

   1.

We expect that the chapters will include the following contents: the
framework/model used to structure the TESOL practicum, a description of the
practicum design (i.e., instruction, practices/activities, and assessment
tools) and the course(s) (if applicable), technologies (if applicable),
research design, lesson learned (e.g., advantages offered by this design,
effective practices), its impact on teacher candidates and ELLs as well as
schools/programs, and challenges and solutions.

Submission Guidelines:

   - State the name(s) of the author(s), institutional affiliation(s), and
   contact details at the top of the page.
   - The abstract should include the aim of the chapter, the theoretical
   orientation (included literature), the methodology, the (expected) main
   results and conclusions.
   - Length: 500-600 words (not including references, no more than 3 or 4
   key references)
   - Times New Roman, 12 point, single-spaced
   - Please follow APA 7th Edition for references
   - Include a short bio, max 50 words, for each author
   - All articles/studies should be original and have not been published in
   other venues.
   - Please email your abstract to tesolpracticumbook at gmail.com by October 31,
   2020.

Projected Timeline:

Chapter abstract Due: *October** 31, 2020 *

Notification of Acceptance: November 30, 2020

Full Chapter (5000-6000 words) Due: April 2021

Review Due: July 2021

Revision Due: September 2021

Submission of Book to Publisher: October 2021

Anticipated Publication: Spring 2022

Please reach out to Chang Pu (cpu at berry.edu) or Wayne Wright (
wewright at purdue.edu) with any questions.

Sincerely,

Chang Pu, PhD

Associate Professor

Department of Teacher Education

Berry College

Wayne E. Wright, PhD

Associate Dean for Research, Graduate Programs and Faculty Development
<https://www.education.purdue.edu/about/office-research-faculty-development/>

Professor & Barbara I. Cook Chair of Literacy and Language

College of Education

Purdue University