[Edling] Transparent Peer Review - Your Thoughts?

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Wed Feb 3 16:22:23 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Several folks have responded off-list echoing similar concerns. A few folks
have also mentioned the additional concern about the impact on the peer
review pool.  Discomfort with having one's review published and attached
permanently to someone's article (whether anonymous or not), they note,
might result in more people declining to do reviews for journals that use
transparent peer review.  Two particular points mentioned in this regard
are (1) increasing the difficulty in finding peer reviewers which is
already a challenge for many journal editors and (2) if more qualified
reviewers decline, there is a risk of less qualified reviewers being used
instead.

A few others have also written to share their general thoughts about
transparent peer review reflecting growing trends towards neoliberalism and
the commodification of knowledge work, and somewhat related global
surveillance culture generally and in education in particular.  While
transparency is ostensibly framed as rigor, from a critical perspective it
is also indexed with mistrust and the use of surveillance as an antidote.
With surveillance come implications about who does the watching and the
judging and the resulting power imbalances.  For example, how might
transparent peer reviews be used in tenure and promotion processes?  Grant
reviews?  Job searches.  Etc.

Thanks to those who shared their thoughts.  Additional comments are welcome
on-list or off.

Best,
Francis

--
*Francis M. Hult, PhD, FRGS* | Professor
Department of Education

Editor, Educational Linguistics Book Series
<https://www.springer.com/series/5894>
Co-Editor, Contributions to the Sociology of Language Book Series
<https://www.degruyter.com/view/serial/16644>

Web Profile <https://education.umbc.edu/faculty-list/francis-m-hult/> |
Academia.edu <http://umbc.academia.edu/FrancisMHult> | TESOL at UMBC
<http://esol.umbc.edu/>