[Edling] Free Online Symposium -- Language and Migration | Experience and Memory -- 19 April to 1 May 2021

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Thu Feb 4 17:27:11 UTC 2021

[Apologies for cross-posting]

*Language and Migration:*

*Experience and Memory*

*Monday, April 19—Saturday, May 1, 2021*

 https://migration.princeton.edu/symposium
<https://migration.princeton.edu/symposium>

***Free Registration
<https://princeton.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GNf33xbFR1O9wdsn38Hk6Q>***

*This *interdisciplinary symposium
<https://migration.princeton.edu/symposium>* will convene humanists and
social scientists, field-workers and policy-makers, artists and writers, to
think together about migrants as resourceful users, interpreters, and
creators of language. *

Language is a vital, but underexplored, factor in the lives of migrants,
immigrants and refugees. It has a direct impact on the experiences and
choices of individuals displaced by war, terror, or natural disasters and
the decisions made by agents who provide (or fail to provide) relief,
services, and status. Distilled through memory, it shapes the fictions,
poems, memoirs, films and song lyrics in which migrants render loss and
displacement, integration and discovery, the translation of history and
culture, and the trials of identity.

*The symposium will take place online between Monday, April 19 and Saturday
May 1, 2021. *

*Special events:* Our symposium will feature two keynote speakers: *Prof.
Sarah Dryden-Peterson* of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, who
will open our exchange with a lecture on Monday April 19; and *Prof*. *Viet
Thanh Nguyen*, Aerol Arnold Professor of English, University of Southern
California, and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for *The Sympathizer, who will
close the proceedings with a lecture on Saturday, May 1. O*n Friday
evening, April 30, we are delighted to host a reading by *Jhumpa Lahiri,
Yiyun Li and Aleksandar Hemon*, three distinguished members of Princeton’s
Creative Writing faculty.

*The symposium program *can be found here
<https://migration.princeton.edu/symposium/program>.

*Registration information* can be found here
<https://princeton.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GNf33xbFR1O9wdsn38Hk6Q>.
There will be one zoom link for the entire conference. (Panelists and
chairs will also receive a special link for their sessions.)

*Our primary sponsors* are the Migration Lab of the Princeton Institute for
International and Regional Studies <http://piirs.princeton.edu/>, and the Study
Group for Language and the United Nations
<https://www.languageandtheun.org/>. We’d like to acknowledge additional
support from the Center for Applied Linguistics, the Esperantic Studies
Foundation, the Centre for Research and Documentation on World Language
Problems, and Birkbeck, University of London. At Princeton, generous
support has also come from the Lewis Center, the Humanities Council, the
Department of English, the Department of Comparative Literature, The
Department of African-American Studies, and the University Center for Human
Values.

*Please direct questions to **Sam Evans  **<same at princeton.edu
<same at princeton.edu>>*