[Edling] Sharing a world of difference: The earth's linguistic, cultural and biological diversity

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Sun Feb 21 13:59:10 UTC 2021

UNESCO

Sharing a world of difference: The earth's linguistic, cultural and
biological diversity

Principal Authors: Tove Skutnabb-Kangas, Luisa Maffi, and David Harmon

Globalization has made us increasingly aware of both the unity and the
diversity of our planet. The growth of the information society has
permitted global communication in ways that would have been unthinkable
amere decade ago, but it also presents dangers of cultural and linguistic
homogenisation.The  expansion  of  the  global  economy  has fostered
migration from small rural com-munities to large urban centres, as well as
from country to country, further blurring the distinct identities of local
communities.The interlinkages between linguistic, cul-tural and biological
diversity, framed in this booklet as biocultural diversity, emphasize the
need to be aware of the complex rela-tionships  which  underpin  the
 sustainable development of our contemporary world for future generations.
It is here that education has a crucial role to play.

Full text:
https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000132384