[Edling] Online Event - The Oral History, Odyssey, and Identity in English Language Teaching - 6 February

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Jan 26 15:25:03 UTC 2021

The Oral History, Odyssey, and Identity in English Language Teaching

When:  Feb 6, 2021 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM (ET)
Link
<https://my.tesol.org/events/event-description?CalendarEventKey=73bcfbd5-17d1-444a-9051-01ede776d57e&Home=/home&utm_content=buffer98eed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
DESCRIPTION

The power of storytelling has been the foundation of culture, human
communication, and cross-generational connection. Black history, past and
present is shared through the research and experiences of the presenters
with the ultimate goal of empowering English language educators and their
students.
PANELISTS

*Mary L. Romney, Independent Consultant*

*An Afro-Caribbean in World War II: Oral History in ELT*
How did an Afro-Caribbean sailor become a political prisoner during World
War II and spend the final year of the war in a concentration camp? The
presenter answers this question, discusses the importance of oral history
within the context of Black history, and offers suggestions for the use of
oral history in ESOL.

*Harry Kuchah Kuchah, University of LeedsThe Odyssey of a Black African
English Teacher*In this presentation, I share critical incidents from my
personal and professional life that have shaped my understanding of the
(subtle) racial politics within the ELT profession. I will reflect on the
possible pathways to engaging with other professionals in identifying and
uncovering racial biases and establishing equity within our profession.

*Awad IbrahimBlack English and Pop Culture as Symbolic Spaces of
Identification*In this presentation, I tell two stories: Delores and Alaa
Barcelona. Delores is a 22-year old South African from Johannesburg. Alaa
Barcelona is a 21-year old Sudanese who lives in Khartoum. Their stories
show how Blackness, namely Black English and Black pop culture, has turned
into a symbolic space of identification for continental Africans. In being
so, the Black diaspora, I will conclude, is coming home to the continent.
'LOCATION
*Online Instructions:*