[Edling] Seeking research to include in review of DLBE intergroup relations

Melinda Martin-Beltran via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Thu May 6 18:02:44 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

In an effort to include a wide range of research on Dual Language Bilingual
Education (DLBE) programs around the world, I’m reaching out to this list
to see if you or your colleagues have conducted research that should be
cited in a chapter we are co-authoring for the Handbook on Dual Language
Bilingual Education. The chapter is supposed to review research
focusing on intergroup
relations in DLBE. We will review studies across diverse contexts and
theoretical/methodological orientations that examine how identities,
language, race, ethnicity, culture, socioeconomic status, discrimination,
segregation, interactional patterns, (in)equity, and power are manifested
in intergroup relations that are central to DLBE program goals.

We have been reviewing scholarly databases; however, we also thought it
would be helpful to reach out directly to researchers to capture a wider
variety of voices.

If you have suggestions for publications that would be relevant to include
in this review, please email any APA citations of the research by replying
directly to my email and acataneo at terpmail.umd.edu (Amanda Cataneo graduate
student researcher) by June 1 if possible.

We can share our compiled list of references for anyone who is interested.

With much appreciation,

Melinda

--
Melinda Martin-Beltrán, PhD
pronouns: she/her/ <https://www.mypronouns.org/>ella/ela
Associate Professor, Language, Literacy, and Social Inquiry
<https://education.umd.edu/academics/programs/graduate/language-literacy-and-social-inquiry-phd>
Dept of Teaching & Learning, Policy & Leadership
Office: 2209 Benjamin Building
Mailing address:
2311 Benjamin Building
College Park, MD 20742
Office: 301-405-4432 Fax: 301-314-9055
Recent publications:
Martin‐Beltrán, M., Montoya‐Ávila, A., & García, A. A. (2020). Becoming
advocates: Positioning immigrant youth to share, connect, and apply their
stories as tools for social change. *TESOL Journal*, *11*(4), e567.
https://doi.org/10.1002/tesj.567

   - Martin-Beltrán, M., García, A. A., Montoya-Ávila, A. (2020).  “I know
   there’s something like that in Spanish”: Heritage Language Learners’
   multifaceted interactions with linguistically diverse peers. *International
   Journal of Applied Linguistics  *https://doi.org/10.1111/ijal.12310
   -  “Do you want to tell your own narrative?”: How one teacher and her
   students engage in resistance by leveraging community cultural wealth
   <http://amaejournal.utsa.edu/index.php/amae/article/view/408>.
   - Building a community of practice to overcome the marginalization of
   adolescent language learners.
   <https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/TvSBw2bTMrpKFYsByFYF/full?target=10.1080/07908318.2018.1521421>

   - ‘Time for una pregunta’: Understanding Spanish use and interlocutor
   response among young English learners in cross-age peer interactions while
   reading and discussing text.
   <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13670050.2018.1515176>

The following land acknowledgement was organized by MICA
<https://thestamp.umd.edu/Multicultural_Involvement_Community_Advocacy> and
approved by Piscataway <http://www.piscatawayconoytribe.com/index.html>
elders.

Every community owes its existence and strength to the generations before
them, around the world, who contributed their hopes, dreams, and energy
into making the history that led to this moment. Some were brought here
against their will, some were drawn to migrate from their homes in hope of
a better life, and some have lived on this land for more generations than
can be counted. Truth and acknowledgment are critical in building mutual
respect and connections across all barriers of heritage and difference.  At
the University of Maryland, we believe it is important to create dialogue
to honor those that have been historically and systemically
disenfranchised. So, we acknowledge the truth that is often buried: We are
on the ancestral lands of the Piscataway People, who were among the first
in the Western Hemisphere. We are on indigenous land that was stolen from
the Piscataway People by European colonists. We pay respects to Piscataway
elders and ancestors. Please take a moment to consider the many legacies of
violence, displacement, migration, and settlement that bring us together
today.

[image: image.png]Are you an UndocuTerp? DACA, TPS, or Undocumented
Students find your resources <https://linktr.ee/umdundoc> and engage with
the USP
<https://thestamp.umd.edu/Engagement/Immigrant_Undocumented_Student_Life_Program>
.