[Edling] CFP - Learning Machines: Sociology of Language Perspectives on Digitally Mediated Learning

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Thu Oct 21 20:32:37 UTC 2021

Call for book chapters
Learning Machines: Sociology of Language Perspectives on Digitally Mediated
Learning
<https://learning-machines.net/#learning-machines-sociology-of-language-perspectives-on-digitally-mediated-learning>

*300-word abstracts due November 12, 2021.*

Following the success of a symposium on Language, Technology, and Power at
the American Association for Applied Linguistics annual conference in
Spring 2021, editors of the Contributions to the Sociology of Language (CSL)
<https://www.degruyter.com/serial/CSL-B/html> series, published by de
Gruyter Mouton, encouraged participants to propose a related edited volume.
inviting  <https://learning-machines.net/>*chapter contributions
<https://learning-machines.net/> to a proposed volume in the CSL series
which will explore the relationships between digital tools, languaging, and
learning as mediated by systems of power.*

While we acknowledge the power that digital tools can have in learning
contexts, we aim for this book to critically consider what forms of
languaging and communication are promoted, normalized, and reified through
the introduction of digital tools into learning environments. Rooted in
these understandings, we hope to surface ways of using technology for
liberatory languaging and learning projects.

At this stage, we are seeking abstracts of about 300 words. Abstracts
should indicate how the paper will address one or more of the themes listed
in the call. The submission deadline is November 12, 2021.
The full call and instructions to submit can be found here:
https://learning-machines.net/

Please send questions to inquiries at learning-machines.net.

Sara Vogel, PhD (she/her)
Instructor, Adviser, Bank Street College
Associate Research Scientist, New York University - Steinhardt and
Participating
in Literacies and Computer Science (PiLaCS)
<https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1837446>
Email: sev219 at nyu.edu | sara.e.vogel at gmail.com
Website: http://cuny.is/saraevogel